Fitness Reference Forums
Go Back   Fitness Reference Forums > Injuries and Rehabilitation Central > Injuries and Rehabilitation

Add this thread to:  Submit to Google Google  Submit to Yahoo Yahoo  Submit to Blinklist Blinklist  Submit to Digg Digg  Submit to Reddit Reddit  Submit to Furl Furl  Submit to Del.icio.us Del.icio.us  Submit to Technorati Technorati Submit to Spurl Spurl

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:43   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #1
Plus1 - Male
FR Member

Name: Allen
Joined FR: May 2008
Total Posts: 142
FR Stars: Six month anniversary! One year anniversary! Two year anniversary! Three year anniversary! Four year anniversary! Five year anniversary!
Plus1 has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Very-Active
Icon1 Shoulder pain?

I was doing a few shoulder press sets last night and I felt a really uncomfortable stinging pain in my left shoulder. It's not there when I don't lift weights so I'm a big worried. Any ideas what could cause this problem?
Reply With Quote Go To Top
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:19   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #2
Monkri - Female
LotusHaven

Name: Mona
Joined FR: Nov 2006
Total Posts: 2,012
FR Stars: Six month anniversary! One year anniversary! Two year anniversary! Three year anniversary! Four year anniversary! Five year anniversary!
Monkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitude

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

Member of the month: December 2008 - Issue reason:  

It is very hard to say Allen. I think you should concult a physiotherapist so he or she can check your shoulder and give you the correct answer. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old October 22nd, 2008, 13:04   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #3
Champion - Male
Champion of Champions

Name: Paul
Joined FR: Aug 2007
Total Posts: 206
Champion has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Pro-Athlete

have you had this kind of problem before?

Basic information and possible solutions

A common cause of shoulder pain is soreness of the tendon (a cord that attaches a muscle to a bone) of the rotator cuff (the part of the shoulder that helps circular motion). Another common cause is soreness of the subacromial bursa (a sac of fluid under the highest part of the shoulder).

The main joint in the shoulder is formed by the arm bone and the shoulder blade. The joint socket is shallow, allowing a wide range of motion in the arm. The rotator cuff is made up of 4 muscles that surround the arm bone. This cuff keeps the shoulder steady as the arm moves.

You may have impingement syndrome, or an inflamed bursa. Both of these conditions are considered to be caused by repetitive motion injury, and strengthening the rotator cuff musculature will not help to correct them.

Best thing to do for these issues is to restrict repetitive motions over the head, weight train less frequently ( or don't lift at all for about a week ), use less weight and reduce activity of the affected shoulder joint for a period of 4-6 weeks. This will give the joint time to reduce inflammation, and the tissue time to heal. Additionally, cross friction massage on the front of the should can help to eliminate and adhesions that may have developed...it will be very sore though, and you will need to drink plenty of water to aid in the elimination of the inflammation, and utilize ice for pain.

If things don't improve you should get your shoulder evaluated with functional orthopedic tests by a sports trained chiropractic physician or an orthopedist. That's the safest way to reduce further injury and you'll be sure your shoulder won't sustain lasting injuries.

Good luck.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:30   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #4
ThreeD - Male
Livin' the dream

Name: Mr T
Joined FR: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 2,249
ThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community assetThreeD is a great community asset

Workout Frequency:
Pro-Athlete

I think Paul's post pretty much sums it up. Good luck Allen, I hope you're back in action as soon as possible.
Old November 12th, 2008, 17:07   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #5
Plus1 - Male
FR Member

Workout Frequency:
Very-Active

thanks guys. My shoulder is doing a lot better. I started lifting again this week, with really light weights I must add. I went to see my doc and she told me the exact same thing Allen did, give it some time, rest and go back at it a few weeks later.

I haven't had any problems so far this week, lets hope it stays that way

Thanks again for all your gracious help.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:18   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #6
N1 - Male
The One And Only

Name: Brian
Joined FR: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 236
N1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular member

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

Good to hear Allen, lets hope it stays that way. Good luck
Old December 2nd, 2008, 22:42   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #7
Plus1 - Male
FR Member

Workout Frequency:
Very-Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Good to hear Allen, lets hope it stays that way. Good luck
Yeah I hope so too, thanks again B!