Fitness Reference Forums
Go Back   Fitness Reference Forums > General Workout Corner > The Exercise Central

Add this thread to:  Submit to Google Google  Submit to Yahoo Yahoo  Submit to Blinklist Blinklist  Submit to Digg Digg  Submit to Reddit Reddit  Submit to Furl Furl  Submit to Del.icio.us Del.icio.us  Submit to Technorati Technorati Submit to Spurl Spurl

Old January 15th, 2008, 12:45   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #1
Blinker - Male
FR newcomer

Name: Jeremy
Joined FR: Aug 2007
Total Posts: 54
FR Stars: Six month anniversary! One year anniversary! Two year anniversary! Three year anniversary! Four year anniversary! Five year anniversary!
Blinker has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Semi-Active
Thumbs down Training with a cold?

Hi all. This question may be a little odd, but I have had a sore throat for a couple of days now and I've been feeling really sluggish. I don't feel like training or working out at all. Should I relax and stay at home until I'm better or is it possible to get that creeping cold off my back with a hard workout?

Thank you for any comments!
Reply With Quote Go To Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 21:43   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #2
Fanc-EE - Male
Too Fancy alright!

Name: Jerry
Joined FR: May 2007
Total Posts: 283
FR Stars: Six month anniversary! One year anniversary! Two year anniversary! Three year anniversary! Four year anniversary! Five year anniversary!
Fanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established memberFanc-EE is an established member

Workout Frequency:
Pro-Athlete
Hot Star

There is a great rule of thumb for exercising if you're sick or on the verge of getting sick. It is a above/below the neck rule. If your symptoms appear above the neck (runny nose, sneezing, sore throat) then yes, you can continue with a low-intensity workout. (low-intensity is the key word)

If your symptoms are below the neck (diarrhea, intense coughing, vomiting, fever), then the American College of Sports Medicine and CDC suggest you let your illness run its course before resuming physical activity.

Good luck and get well soon
Old January 15th, 2008, 21:49   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #3
Zodiak - Male
FR Enthusiast

Name: Joseph
Joined FR: Aug 2007
Total Posts: 299
Zodiak has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Semi-Active

Member of the month: September 2008 - Issue reason:  

Great info Jerry, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing!
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:26   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #4
N1 - Male
The One And Only

Name: Brian
Joined FR: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 236
N1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular memberN1 is a very popular member

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

I usually think working out with a cold is a bad idea. Give the body rest and wait until you've recovered.
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:47   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #5
Monkri - Female
LotusHaven

Name: Mona
Joined FR: Nov 2006
Total Posts: 2,012
Monkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitude

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

Member of the month: December 2008 - Issue reason:  

I agree Brian. Be careful, listen to your body and take care of yourself until you've recovered 100%
Old January 18th, 2008, 21:36   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #6
RonXL - Male
FitRef.com Coordinator

Name: Ron
Joined FR: Oct 2007
Total Posts: 304
RonXL has not earned any reputation!RonXL has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
World-Champion

Member of the Year: 2008 - Issue reason:  

Some people at the gym have told me that they can sweat a cold out of their system. I don't know how much truth there is to such a statement, but if it works for them, I guess they're lucky. Last time I tried to sweat a cold off my shoulders I had to stay in bed for 3 days with a fever
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:19   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #7
KC - Male
FR Blog Squad

Name: Andreas
Joined FR: Feb 2007
Total Posts: 397
KC has not earned any reputation!KC has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

I, like most others, have worked out with a cold a few times. It has always backfired on me so I wouldn't recommend doing it. Wait until you're better, patience is a virtue as some say
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:33   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #8
James - Male
FR Member

Name: James
Joined FR: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 246
James has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Very-Active

I never exercise with a cold. Make sure the cold lets go before you get back into your regular workout routine.