Fitness Reference Forums
Go Back   Fitness Reference Forums > The Lifestyle Corner > Health and Wellness

Add this thread to:  Submit to Google Google  Submit to Yahoo Yahoo  Submit to Blinklist Blinklist  Submit to Digg Digg  Submit to Reddit Reddit  Submit to Furl Furl  Submit to Del.icio.us Del.icio.us  Submit to Technorati Technorati Submit to Spurl Spurl

Old May 11th, 2009, 06:15   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #1
Monkri - Female
LotusHaven

Name: Mona
Joined FR: Nov 2006
Total Posts: 2,012
FR Stars: Six month anniversary! One year anniversary! Two year anniversary! Three year anniversary! Four year anniversary! Five year anniversary!
Monkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitude

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

Member of the month: December 2008 - Issue reason:  
FR Part 3 (The final part): Tips for better sleep

Getting a great night's sleep
There are a variety of factors—physical, mental, biological—that can interfere with a good night's sleep. Stimulants like caffeine and nicotine, for example, can stay in one's system for as long as 6 to 8 hours, so that afternoon jolt of coffee may be keeping you up at night. Eating a large meal later in the evening or before bedtime can also interfere with sleep.

One of the most important tips to consistent long-term, quality sleep is to go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each morning. This helps "set on automatic" the circadian rhythms that are helpful for deep, restful sleep. Trying to catch up on sleep, say, by sleeping in on the weekends, may reduce your sleep deficit from the week past. But it will not help when on Monday evening you can't fall asleep. Set your alarm clock for the same time each day. Many people find that after just a week or two waking at the same time each morning, they will awaken consistently just before the alarm goes off.

Having a wind-down ritual of 20-30 minutes that is relaxing for you (a cup of chamomile tea, meditation/breathing, warm bath, or reading, for example) can help relax and smooth the road to a good night's sleep. Again, the key is to always go to bed at the same time. It is normal to take 10 to 20 minutes to fall asleep, sometimes a bit longer. Some other great tips we like for getting a great night's sleep include the following:

• Make your bed a sanctuary. Make it comfy. Make it welcoming. It's not the place to discuss or ruminate over the stresses of the day.
• Make your sleep environment dark, quiet and at a comfortable temperature (being in a cooler temperature versus warmer often helps most).
• If external noise is a problem (or you are a lighter sleeper), consider a sound machine with various sounds to filter/mask other noise (many include nature sounds like waves or rain, as well as "white noise").
• Take a hot shower or bath (sauna, steam, whirlpool). Many people report falling asleep easier and deeper after a hot bath.
• Exercise, especially higher intensity exercise, is linked to improved sleep. However, do not exercise within 3 or 4 hours of bedtime, as this will delay the extra release of melatonin that helps you fall asleep.
• Don't have any alcohol before bed—alcohol does not help you sleep more deeply. It actually keeps you in lighter stages of sleep (or awake and going to the bathroom).

If you don't fall asleep within 20 to 30 minutes, don't fret. But do go and find a quiet activity away from your bed until you feel sleepy. Remember, it takes a bit of time and consistency for good sleep habits to take hold. After utilizing a few of these important tips, you could be well on your way to more restful and more healthful sleep, with more energy and alertness during the day.

Source: health and wellness
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:47   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #2
Lenna - Female
FR newcomer

Name: Lene
Joined FR: Jan 2008
Total Posts: 27
FR Stars: Six month anniversary! One year anniversary! Two year anniversary! Three year anniversary! Four year anniversary! Five year anniversary!
Lenna has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Semi-Active

A warm bath is my favorite way to wind down a stressy day. It's my favorite thing to do, ever! After that crawling to bed with fresh sheets makes it perfect.
Reply With Quote Go To Top
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:50   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #3
Want2Gain
FR Enthusiast

Name: Theodor
Joined FR: Aug 2007
Total Posts: 309
Want2Gain has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Semi-Active

Member of the month: October 2008 - Issue reason:  

I know some people say you should exercise before you go to bed, but lately I feel completely knocked out if I go for a long run 1-2 hours before I go to bed. And the best part is that it seems to work
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:07   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #4
Buff Guy - Male
Buffest Buff Guy

Name: Allen
Joined FR: Jun 2007
Total Posts: 328
Buff Guy is aiming for fameBuff Guy is aiming for fameBuff Guy is aiming for fameBuff Guy is aiming for fameBuff Guy is aiming for fameBuff Guy is aiming for fameBuff Guy is aiming for fame

Workout Frequency:
Pro-Athlete

Some really great ideas here Mona A hot shower always helps to relieve stress.
Old June 25th, 2009, 13:20   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #5
adnamA - Female
100% FR Woman

Name: Amanda
Joined FR: Apr 2007
Total Posts: 420
adnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular memberadnamA is a very popular member

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

Member of the month: January 2008 - Issue reason:  

Quote:
Exercise, especially higher intensity exercise, is linked to improved sleep.
I can relate to that. I often feel a lot more sleepy when I've completed a high intensive workout compared to some of my "regular workouts".

Great post, Mona.
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:28   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #6
Drogba
FR Member

Name: Didier D.
Joined FR: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 133
Drogba has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Pro-Athlete

Nothing beats a comfortable bed. All the tricks in the world don't help if the bed doesn't provide the correct support and comfort.
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:21   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #7
Monkri - Female
LotusHaven

Name: Mona
Joined FR: Nov 2006
Total Posts: 2,012
Monkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitudeMonkri has a great attitude

Workout Frequency:
Total-Addict

Member of the month: December 2008 - Issue reason:  

True Drogba, Check out Lianna's article
Old July 12th, 2009, 15:51   Go To Top / FR Forum Home / #8
Drogba
FR Member

Name: Didier D.
Joined FR: Jul 2007
Total Posts: 133
Drogba has not earned any reputation!

Workout Frequency:
Pro-Athlete
Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkri View Post
True Drogba, Check out Lianna's article
I saw it, thanks. My bed feels like it's matched my anatomy perfectly hehe